Friday 22 January 2010

For peace of mind resign as general manager of the universe

One of the suppliers my company uses gave us these little plastic phone holder things that have a calender on them. Each day has a fact and a little saying. Today's face is that in 1984 the Apple Macintosh computer was officially introduced. The saying is the title of today's post. One day I would like to be Empress of the universe, secondary title would be Countess of Joy. My main manifesto points are one hug a day at least and a pastry of your choice. I think these are both important daily requirements.

Anyhoo all that is totally besides the point of today's post. Today I wish to talk about the weather. Yes dear readers, we have reached that point in our relationship where we are going to make small talk about the weather. Today it is raining. Well actually it's pouring. I can see small poodles and tiny cats collecting in the guttering. After so much snow I'm not sure our water table can cope with much more water. However I suppose too much is better than not enough. Though only just. It seems to me that there are a lot of places at the moment which suffer from either too much or not enough water. It is the most precious substance on the planet but it is under appreciated and abused by most people in the "civilised" world.

Cholera, typhoid fever, hepatitis A and dysentery are all caused by dirty drinking water. Yet here and in many other countries with perfectly acceptable drinking water we spend "£2 billion on bottled water when a billion people around the world don't have safe water." Quote from BBC How mental is that? But this is not the only way in which we abuse our water supply. We leave taps running, wash clothes more than they need and then there is the eternal debate on whether hand washing or dishwashers are better. (from what I can gather the studies that say dishwashers are better base their data on hand washers rinsing their dishes too. We never do that)

Currently only some houses in the UK are on metered water. I for one believe that everyone being on meters would be better. That way people will be forced to look at what they are using. Now I'm not saying that this will actually change anyones attitude. Lord knows that paying for something doesn't make people take ownership. I used to work for British Gas and my experience there taught me that a lot of people would rather blame the prices and the fat cats than their usage for the massive bill. In Australia there are very strict regulations on how much water households can use and I think that kind of regulation could be applied elsewhere.

General thought is that you can only go 3 days without water, you would think that we would look after it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment