Friday 12 March 2010

The soup has morphed

This evening's dinner was going to be parsnip mulligatawny. However I got home to discover we had only 2 parsnips which were about medium size. So it has morphed into parsnip and jerusalem artichoke mulligatawny (because there were lots of those!) Man I hate peeling those little blighters.

So the soup is done all but adding the coconut milk. It is a sickly grey in colour but tastes quite nice so I might forgive it. I'm just waiting for the pizza dough to rise as I am going to make little garlic breads to go with it. I've mixed the garlic straight into the dough at the beginning so we'll see how well that works.

The only problem with this food is it's not ready now!!!!

So to stave off hunger pangs I'm going to share the recipe for the soup with you guys. I say recipe, it's more a method now. It started life as a very rigid recipe in a book and is now the below. I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you try it.

* Finely chop an onion and mush a few cloves of garlic depending on taste. Cook slowly in some butter or oil, up to you which. * Once translucent add a tsp of turmeric, 2 tsps of garam masala or curry powder and a tsp of cumin. These are all adaptable to your taste. Toast for a few mins to release aroma. This bit is my fav as it smells ace!
* Add peeled chopped parsnips (or whatever you chose to use. About 2Lb of it) an make sure they get covered with the spices.
* Add about 2 liters of stock. Again this is variable to the size of your pan and how thick you want your soup.
* Add a peeled chopped Granny Smith apple. I've tried a Bramley and that really didn't work.
* Cook until veg is soft then blend to preferred consistency. Add coconut milt to taste and bring to the boil. Serve with bread of choice.

1 comment: