Wednesday 9 October 2013

Educating me

Today it took me about an hour to read this article. It's not that long or particularly complicated. It took me so long because I had to stop reading every so often because I was overcome with emotion. I felt anger, pity and am immense sense of being very lucky.

I am lucky because I am a woman with a university degree. I did not have to fight for this right. I did not have to speak out against anyone and I certainly did not have to risk my life to get it. I simply chose to do it.

Just a choice.

But it is a choice we take for granted here. We do degrees in random things that don't really benefit anyone and we go to university for the experience rather than the education. Don't get me wrong, the experience is a vital part of uni and if I were in charge I would make people move out of home when they go just so they can learn to stand on their own feet. The point I am trying to make is that there are people, girls in particular, who are fighting to get an education because they want to better themselves. They want to be more than just a mother. They want to help themselves and their countries to be better.

And they want this even though it risks their lives.

I felt humbled reading this article. I felt grateful for the fact that I do not have to wage this war as it has already been done for me. And I realised that I hope my daughter realises how lucky she is and makes the most of her education, pushing herself to be the best that she can. In the world at the moment it is both a privilege and a right!

No comments:

Post a Comment