Tuesday 16 June 2009

Worthwhile?

More and more I feel dissatisfied with how I spend my days. I have an office job, general admin/order placing. I spend most of my days speaking to people who run retirement homes or staff at bars (we work for some diverse clients hehehe). However I can't help feeling that there is nothing really worthwhile in my job. We supply things like posters and menus and letterheads. What is the purpose of these things? Now don't get me wrong, they all have their uses. But how meaningful are they really? In the grand scheme of things they don't really mean a lot. As I get older I would much rather be doing something that gives a bit back to the world.

With that in mind me and the bloke have a bit of a 10 year plan going on. We reckon that in that time, with a bit of careful but not too dire budgeting we can save up enough to have a rather stunning deposit on a house. This should allow us to buy our own home and hopefully reduce the money that is spent on rent/mortgage. Once that is done we will then hopefully have the space to grow more of our own food, produce our own energy, things like that. If we can do that then other expenses should be smaller which will in turn lead to us both being able to have the kind of jobs that we feel are worthwhile.

We started the budgeting this week by getting rid of our television. We never watch the darn thing, only guests and my stepdaughter do. So that is around £150 a year we've saved and hopefully a refund too! This also leave much more time in the evenings for us to do stuff as there is no choice now. Hopefully it will encourage Spadgercus (the stepdaughter) to be more productive/creative with her time, maybe read more or make stuff or write the funny little poems that she does sometimes. I think that access to songs on YouTube that have lyrics may put a dent in that vain hope though.

I don't want to have to wait til retirement age to be able to live a life that I deem to be ethically acceptable. So, bring on the budgeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment